What are other options in customising NGINX via the manifest files?

Is it possible to use the manifest files to have additional NGINX config within our applications? So far the documentation only suggests or documents how to add CORS. What if I wanted to add proper security headers in a stack or app using manifests files? How do I do it without making sure that I won’t break production?

One of the reasons why I want to do this via the manifest file is it would be easier to maintain as it would be checked in to our application’s code repository. I know custom config does this as well but I think it would be easy for us to forget that that’s even there in the future.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Hello!

Welcome to the Cloud 66 community and thanks for posting this question!

Although you won’t be able to use the manifest file to customise your NGINX configuration, CustomConfig is available in Git with the intention that customers can archive and store their configurations. Here is a link with more details on Using CustomConfig Git.

With regards to better reliability when applying changes to Production stacks - it is possible that different versions of NGINX have different NGINX configurations. Before applying configurations we test them for syntax errors, however, we can not test whether changes will still serve traffic (etc). For this reason, it is always a good idea to have a Staging or similar environment where you can run any changes through and validate they are behaving as expected before applying them to your Production stacks.